It's about time for a new blog post! Last time I left you saying that I would talk about the new boxes that I have made.
So, as my mind wanders, sometimes it lands on cool ideas. I have made wood boxes with glass tops before, but this time I did a few things differently. First off, I started with a worm/bug eaten cedar log and cut thick slices. Then, using the band saw and a couple of different blade thicknesses, I chopped, cut and sawed, then glued until I had empty boxes.
Looking at the boxes, it suddently dawned on me that they needed to be elevated. Both artistically and literally. So, I found some sticks that matched the original log and cut them up into sections about 3" long. Then, back to the sander to round out one end of each section and then drilled them and using pegs, glued and attached them to the bottoms of the boxes.
The glass tops were also a multi- part process. First, I traced the top of the box onto my prepared kiln shelf so that I would have the shape and size of each box. Then I laid down a layer of clear chunks of glass within that shape, sprinkled a layer of frit over it, but then brushed it out so it only filled the cracks in the glass. A second layer of clear chunks and a second color of frit went on top of that. Lastly, I covered all of that with a neutral frit color and fired it all up to 1325 degrees.
In the meantime, I cut leaf shapes out of 1/8" fiber paper, filled them with different colors of frit and laid on black glass stringers for leaf veins. These were also fired to 1325 degrees.
Then, each glass top is turned over, leaves laid on top and fired again to 1450 degrees. Each top was fired with a hole plugged into the center of it. I then cut a piece of clear glass to fit fairly snuggly into the tops of the boxes and fired to have a rounded edge. I then drilled a hole where the hole would be in each top and glued the clear glass to the bottom of the fused glass so that the holes lined up.
I cut, sanded and shaped wood pieces to act as handles then screwed through the holes in the glass tops to secure the handles.
I am sure this all sounds rather confusing - it was quite a process - but they were a lot of fun to make, regardless of the amount of time each one took. I love every one of them!